About James E. Price

james-price-early-researchJames E. Price, President



Back in the 1950’s, as a young boy, my love of the water began as I helped my father commercially fish in the Choptank River.   Even back then, the main focus was striped bass.  In the 1960’s, the researcher in me began to surface as I started keeping records of how many large, female stripers were killed in gill nets.  I thought it was a waste that so many large fish were strangled by the nets that were left in the water for 24 hours at a time.  Fast forward to the 1980’s when I presented a bill to the Maryland State Legislature to change the size limits of current fishing regulations.  As a charter boat captain, I represented the Maryland Charter Boat Association as their representative in Annapolis where I helped lobby and pass a bill that raised the striped bass minimum size from 12″ to 14″.  I was the first private individual to have a bill on this subject actually pass in the state legislature.  In the late 1980’s, I started my non-profit organization, originally called the Chesapeake Bay Acid Rain Foundation, to have a platform in which to present and archive my information.  Tom Horton of the Bay Journal began calling me the “citizen scientist” in an article published December 24, 2013, after the thousands of hours I was logging doing my research.  During this time frame, I worked at the Eastern Regional Laboratory for the State Highway Administration for 16 years and then opened my own jewelry business which I operated for 30 years.  All my research was done in collaboration with my wife, Henrietta, as well as volunteers. My research was funded by my foundation in cooperation with the MD DNR.  The years of collaboration, hard work, countless hours of evaluating and disseminating information  was all based on my desire to see the health of striped bass and the Bay prosper.

Jim Price


Note: On December 18, 2016, just days after completing the revisions to the  Chesapeake Bay Ecological Foundation’s new website, Mr. Price died peacefully in his home in Oxford, Maryland after a long, hard fought battle with cancer.  Knowing that his legacy was finally complete was a great source of accomplishment and comfort to him.